Vitamin E and Beta Carotene Composition in Four Different Vegetable Oils
- 1 School of Biosciences and Biotechnology, University Kebangsaan Malaysia, Malaysia
- 2 School of Chemical Sciences and Food Technology, Faculty of Science and Technology, University Kebangsaan Malaysia, 43600 Bangi Selangor, Malaysia
- 3 Malaysian Palm Oil Board, Bandar Baru Bangi, 43000 Kajang, Selangor, Malaysia
Problem statement: Some vegetable oils contains natural antioxidants such as beta carotene and vitamin E namely tocopherol and tocotrienol. Different vegetable oils contained different amount of vitamin E and β-carotene. Approach: Study was carried out to investigate the natural antioxidants (vitamin E and beta carotene) composition in four different vegetable oils [Red Palm Olein (RPO), palm plein (PO), Corn Oil (CO) and Coconut Oil (COC)]. Results: The results showed that RPO contained the highest amount of vitamin E and β-carotene compared to the other three types of vegetable oils studied. Conclusion: The RPO can be considered as a good source of natural antioxidant (tocopherol, tocotrienol and β-carotene).
Copyright: © 2011 Eqbal Dauqan, Halimah Abdullah Sani, Aminah Abdullah, Halimah Muhamad and Ab. Gapor Md. Top. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.
- 3,385 Views
- 10,484 Downloads
- 48 Citations
- Vegetable oils
- Corn Oil (CO)
- Red Palm Olein (RPO)
- beta carotene
- high performan liquid chromatography (HPLC)
- Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS)
- antioxidant nutrients