Research Article Open Access

Brucellosis in Camels (Camelus dromedorius) in the south province of Jordan

Hawari Azmi Dawood1
  • 1 Department of Nutrition and Food Processing, Al-Balqa Applied University, Faculty of Agricultural Technology, Al-Salt 19117, Jordan

Abstract

A study of the prevalence of camel brucellosis has been carried out in the south province of Jordan during the years 2006 and 2007. Six hundred forty camel sera from 44 herds were randomly collected and analyzed. Rose Bengal plate test was used to screen all serum samples. The positive samples were subjected to confirmation by complement fixation test. The true prevalence of Brucella seropositive was 15.8%. Brucella melitensis biotype 3 was isolated from 2 aborted fetuses and from 2 milk samples. 64.8% of the positive camels were adult > than 4 years old and the remaining 35.2% were young ranging from 6 months to 4 years old. Recommendations for brucellosis control were given.

American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences
Volume 3 No. 3, 2008, 623-626

DOI: https://doi.org/10.3844/ajabssp.2008.623.626

Submitted On: 13 July 2008 Published On: 30 September 2008

How to Cite: Dawood, H. A. (2008). Brucellosis in Camels (Camelus dromedorius) in the south province of Jordan. American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, 3(3), 623-626. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajabssp.2008.623.626

  • 4,638 Views
  • 4,182 Downloads
  • 29 Citations

Download

Keywords

  • Camels
  • brucellosis
  • serology
  • prevalence
  • Jordan