Research Article Open Access

Evaluation of Vegetables Farmers Participation in Agricultural Extension Activities

Mohammad Altarawneh1, Ebraheem Altahat1 and Ali AL-Sharafat1
  • 1 ,
American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences
Volume 7 No. 2, 2012, 201-206

DOI: https://doi.org/10.3844/ajabssp.2012.201.206

Submitted On: 11 March 2012 Published On: 5 April 2012

How to Cite: Altarawneh, M., Altahat, E. & AL-Sharafat, A. (2012). Evaluation of Vegetables Farmers Participation in Agricultural Extension Activities. American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, 7(2), 201-206. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajabssp.2012.201.206

Abstract

Problem statement: Farmers’s participation in extension activities is one of the most important issues facing extension providers in Jordan. The determination of the reasons that prevent farmers from participation in some extension activities is another problem. This study was conducted to evaluate the level of vegetables farmers’ participation in agricultural extension activities in the Dear Alla area of Jordan and to investigate the reasons that prevent farmers’ participation in agricultural extension activities. Approach: The study investigated farmers’ socioeconomic characteristics, extension activities, farmers’ opinion concerning the activities and the degree of participation of farmers regarding the conducted activities. The study was conducted to cover the Dear Alla area. The dear Alla area is one of the most important vegetable production areas of the Jordan Valley. The population of this study included all the vegetable farmers in this area. Results: The sample obtained through the simple random sampling technique. A total number of 320 vegetable farmers were selected. A structured questionnaire was designed to obtain information from farmers. The questionnaire consisted of two main parts; the first part was related to personal and socioeconomic characteristics of the sample individuals. The second part was related to extension activities. Conclusion/Recommendations: High, medium and low levels of interviews farmers’ participation in agricultural extension activities were noticed. Three activities resembled 43% of the total investigated activities (7 activities) were high in the degree of farmers’ satisfaction indicating high levels of farmers’ participants. Other three activities were with medium level and also resembled 43% of the total investigated activities. The remaining activity was low in participation and resembled 14% of the total investigated activities. The date of the activity is not suitable for farmers and the preoccupation with another concern or job resembled 60% of the reasons for farmers not to participate in agricultural extension activities. The other three reasons: (Does not know the date of activity, unwillingness to participate and activities do not meet their needs) resembled the remaining 40% of the reasons for the interviewed farmers not to participate. In the light of the findings of the study extension activities should be planned with full involvement of farmers to increase their level of participation and using local leaders as contact farmers could enhance farmer participation and will be beneficial in this regard.

  • 1,747 Views
  • 2,073 Downloads
  • 0 Citations

Download

Keywords

  • Participation
  • extension
  • agricultural extension activities
  • satisfaction