American Journal of Infectious Diseases

Screening of Breast Mass in Iraqi Females: Al-Kindy Hospital Breast Clinic

Wijdan Akram

DOI : 10.3844/ajidsp.2009.320.323

American Journal of Infectious Diseases

Volume 5, Issue 4

Pages 320-323

Abstract

Problem statement: The aim of this study is to present the findings of a retrospective analysis in females with breast mass, the character of the women and the risk factors of breast cancer at Al-Kindy Breast Clinic Center. Approach: Data were collected during 2 months period using special form of questioner. The total number of studied sample was 60, which includes female patients living in Baghdad. Results: The highest prevalence of developing breast mass at age group 36-45 years, the majority of these women are housewives (81.7%), about (31.7%) of the included sample were illiterate and only 10% graduated from college. (58.3%) of the studied sample did not use contraception, while (30%) of patients with breast mass had breast feeding on the other hand (70%) did not had breast feeding, by self examination, (11.7%) could not found the mass by themselves, (28.3%) had a mass in the right breast, (50%) had a mass in the left breast while (10%) had the mass in both breasts. Conclusion: The study showed a high level of practice of breast-self examination among women in the sample under consideration, breast masses were more occurring at the third and fourth decades of life, the number of children may affect the development of breast mass and combined oral contraceptive has small increased risk of breast mass.

Copyright

© 2009 Wijdan Akram. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.