American Journal of Environmental Sciences

Statistical Verification of Folk Medicinal Potentiality of Wild Dicot Aquatic Plants in Jordan

S. Al-Qura'n

DOI : 10.3844/ajessp.2005.74.80

American Journal of Environmental Sciences

Volume 1, Issue 1

Pages 74-80

Abstract

This study describes a floristic study of Jordan with its environs. The study was carried out during 2001-2003 and 287 aquatic dicot samples were collected and photographed in the field. After the identification of the specimens, the total wild aquatic dicot species have been determined as 87 species belonging to 59 genera and 33 plant families were presented in investigated Jordan sites. The endemism rate of the investigated area is 26.4% for the 23 species. The largest 3 families are Labiatae (9 aquatic species), Compositae (7 species) and Salicaceae (7 species). The largest genera are Mentha (6 species), Polygonum (5 species) and Salix (5 species). Similarities between the taxa and those of neighbouring regions performed were compared in this study. 63 aquatic dicot species (73.3%) have therapeutic similarities with neighbouring countries, while the 24 remaining species (26.7%) haven't such therapeutic similarity. Emerged species (living with close contact with water body) were the most recorded, while amphibious, submerged and floating species were the least. The folk medicinal importance value of aquatic species recorded was identified according to Friedman et al. [1]. Twenty one species (24%) have ROP values higher than 50 and therefore; have the highest popularity in folk medicinal potentiality. Twenty six species (29.9%) have therapeutic effects informed by less than three informants and therefore; excluded from further consideration. Forty species (46.1%) have ROP values less than 50 and therefore; considered nonpopular medicinal plants.

Copyright

© 2005 S. Al-Qura'n. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.